PantherBB.com Forum -  P71, Crown Victoria, Town Car, Grand Marquis, Marauder
curious wany to modify and cheap - Printable Version

+- PantherBB.com Forum - P71, Crown Victoria, Town Car, Grand Marquis, Marauder (http://www.pantherbb.com)
+-- Forum: New Member Introductions (/Forum-New-Member-Introductions)
+--- Forum: New Member Pit Stop (/Forum-New-Member-Pit-Stop)
+--- Thread: curious wany to modify and cheap (/Thread-curious-wany-to-modify-and-cheap)

Pages: 1 2

curious wany to modify and cheap - Fistslammer - 06-10-2017 09:17 PM

ErHello, have a 2003 crown Vic LX looking to ultimately make look like an interceptorand have more horsepower. Have 4 kids a wiwife that does not work and goes to college that my I come alone pays for all. Lookingto make this my project car. So any ideas tips and tricks are greatly appreciated.

RE: curious wany to modify and cheap - BlackVic_P71 - 06-10-2017 10:59 PM

Welcome.
2004+ Police airbox, dual exhaust and tune bring you to the 2004+ CVPI power
What part do you want to "look" like a CVPI? It's 90% the same.

RE: curious wany to modify and cheap - msena - 06-11-2017 09:37 AM

Welcome aboard!

RE: curious wany to modify and cheap - Jocko10 - 06-11-2017 10:13 AM

(06-10-2017 09:17 PM)Fistslammer Wrote:

ErHello, have a 2003 crown Vic LX looking to ultimately make look like an interceptorand have more horsepower. Have 4 kids a wiwife that does not work and goes to college that my I come alone pays for all. Lookingto make this my project car. So any ideas tips and tricks are greatly appreciated.

Check out the list of my mods on my signature. I have an '04 LX, but have added all the mods of a P-71 that can affect performance. However, I preferred to keep the more shiny look of the LX. Best bang for buck was dual exhaust, sway bars in that order. Changing your rear end from a 2.73 (the std. ratio of an LX) to a 3.?? is probably the cheapest way to quicker acceleration. I am fine with my slower, more fuel-effcient 2.73.

RE: curious wany to modify and cheap - Pecos Slick - 06-11-2017 12:09 PM

If it is needed for a dependable family car I would do what black vic suggests and leave it at that. Maybe a lower geared rear end for red light to red light. Just be sure you can afford the increased gas bill.

RE: curious wany to modify and cheap - Fistslammer - 06-11-2017 02:15 PM

End game is to have a push bar, light, rims, going to repaint but first want to work on engine and exhaust. It's my everyday driver however my wife's car is the family car. Wanted to get the cpv. But doesn'thave a bench seat in front so went with LX. Want to still drive family around if needed.

RE: curious wany to modify and cheap - BigVin - 06-12-2017 04:20 AM

Welcome to the forum.

RE: curious wany to modify and cheap - 04 Panther - 06-12-2017 07:33 AM

Welcome to PBB and good luck with your ride and Blessings to your wife and Family 211952

RE: curious wany to modify and cheap - donzelwshngton - 06-12-2017 03:12 PM

Welcome! That's quite a full plate to try and have a project car with. As others have said, changing the final drive's gear ratio, getting dual exhuast and adding a limited slip may be your best bets for the $/HP ratio. As far as general driving performance, adding a swaybar to the rear dramatically improves handling IMO.

Beyond that...if you want a car to go fast in, my suggestion is to leave the Panther as is and take the thousands you'd spend and buy a cheap mustang GT or other middle-of-the-road "sports" car to toss around. These are not performance machines, the cop versions weren't all that fast...they were built for toughness, utility, ease of repair and longevity. The radio is the thing that the perps couldn't out run.

RE: curious wany to modify and cheap - massacre - 06-13-2017 02:47 AM

Personally I would leave it an LX. CVPI might attract the wrong kind of attention.
With 4 kids and wife in school, proper maintenance alone will be on the cheaper side but doable.
Start adding mods and that push bar equals brake money, shock money, oil change money, etc.
If it were me in your situation I would concentrate on spending money on reliability/dependability rather than appearance mods and chasing the very slight HP increase.
Just my .02