Current time: 12-17-2017, 11:47 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
witch cop car should i buy?
12-02-2017, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2017 08:51 PM by Kearney36950.)
OK so a few months ago I crashed my 2011 CVPI I put it back together but it's far from perfect. It was put back together with almost half the screws due to stripped holes and it being winter doesn't help either. Not everything lines up, the hood kinda overlap's the fender and a lot of other things don't line up. So it needs a lot and I'm coming the conclusion that... I might just need to get another car. I have three choices in mind.

1: 2011 crown victoria exact one I have now.
Pros: V8, Rear wheel, Cheap like half the price of the other ones. 76kmiles, I have a parts car for it. easy to work on, Size.
Cons: Rear-wheel drive (SNOW), Size.
2014 Taurus-v6 3.7l 365bhp 17/25MPG $11k 73kmiles AWD
2013 Charger-V8 5.7l 370hp 16/25MPG $11k 92k miles AWD, I think this is based off the RT.
Now to be honest I don't know enough about the reliability of these last 2 cars I hope some of you do. Leave your options below. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user View This User Garage
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2017, 10:17 PM
RE: witch cop car should i buy?
the panther of course!!!!
[+] 3 users Like georgeent's post
12-02-2017, 10:22 PM
(12-02-2017 10:17 PM)georgeent Wrote:

the panther of course!!!!
I do love my Vic I do feel like it could really handle the abuse I put it through... with that being said living in an area where there's snow. And to be honest I don't think I could really be responsible enough to drive another Vic. I don't know what it is with this car but in the light rain and I'm talking very light rain I will spin tires it's crazy. That's why I'm pushing toward an all wheel drive system. I just hope that horse is as good as the panther platform. But I don't know enough about the charger or Taurus.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
12-02-2017, 10:47 PM
With good tires(not crap RSA's), a CV drives fine in the rain. I have rear wheel drive cars and live in NY(11 years plus a few years in VT with my Volvo 240), never have issues caused by the car.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
[Image: 7082f310-ddf0-45a9-9fc0-153a7ca0a8ce.jpg]
1989 Country Squire - needs more air
2005 CV Sport
SW full exhaust, Heinous control arms, Hawk pads, Powerslot rotors, Addco swaybars, BBK TB, Accufab plenum

Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited
[+] 4 users Like BlackVic_P71's post
12-02-2017, 11:13 PM
To be honest you're probably right but I'm just looking at all my options that's why the Crown Vic is one of my options.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
12-03-2017, 12:18 AM
The Taurus and Charger are great cars with fine power and AWD. But they are also going to be harder and more expensive to maintain due to their more complex nature, especially that AWD system. I drove my parents Taurus a bunch before some knucklehead without insurance ran a red light and walloped my Mom in it (she was sore but overall fine.) It was a bit cramped compared to the Panther and the rearview was horrible, but it did drive nice and seemed to be a fairly well-built vehicle. I don't have any experience with the Charger.
2011 P7B CVPI
1994 Land Rover Defender90
1967 Triumph TR4A

Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited
[+] 1 user Likes msena's post
12-03-2017, 02:44 AM
I’m not familiar with Chrysler/FCA products, but the 3.5 Ecoboost is very complex and not in the least bit diy-friendly. AWD is great for those who live in northern states, though we haven’t seen many (if at all) high mile Taurus’ to see how they hold up in the long run and where their weak points are. Turbos aren’t cheap, and they don’t last forever.
[Image: fe571afe-5636-45d2-8f76-c7eb8d09192c_zpseqfjcbef.jpg]
2006 Light Ice Blue P71 - Jmod, Whelen PAR 46 LED Floodlight, Wig Wags, Strobe Lights, 158K, Otherwise Stock
[+] 4 users Like Westbrook's post
12-03-2017, 07:55 AM
I think I would go back and resurrect the old 2011 and get some good new tires .When I bought my 2006 MGM the tires were whipped and when it was wet it was very dangerous to drive .
Go back and put the crown vic back to previous glory and give him a second chance !!
[+] 3 users Like 04 Panther's post
12-03-2017, 07:29 PM
My poor Sport is wrecked so I would tell you to fix up yours. If mine wasnt needed "as evidence" for stupid lawsuits, I would have fixed mine up already.

The key is to get new hardware, which you can find either in junk yard cars or simply get the hardware kits on ebay. (You may have trouble with the bumper kits...I bought all that I could find Rolleyes )

Adjusting bolt on panels is easy. As long as you didnt bend the frame (which is really touch on the front end). Even the radiator support isnt impossible to bend back, but with so many in junk yards, you can get a new one and be done. (No...you cant have the one I have in the kitchen!)

I never had slipping issues with my cars, and all of them are RWD and I'm in NY. Sure, I had some sideways driving, but isnt that half the fun of RWD?

If you decide to get a new one...Id get the other CV and keep the wrecked one for parts (or if you are really attached to yours, keep yours and part out the other one...and I mean gut it of everything!)

The Chargers arent that great long term (what is honestly though..compared to the Panthers). That Charger may have about another 50k in it if you baby it. Plus they are really strange as far as driving position. You feel a million miles away from mirrors and nose. You constantly worry you'll side swipe something. This coming from a former bus driver (could parallel park a 40ft coach in Manhattan) and driver of 70s Continentals...so thats saying something about the Charger/300.

The worst of the bunch is the new Taurus. It may look flashy (to some, not me) but long term, I dont see it as a reliable car. Once something goes wrong, get ready for the bill. Even if you do it yourself, Ecoboost parts are not cheap. After all, the 4.6/EOD combo have the cheapest parts, only after the 460/C6 (Again, I know from my parts bills lol).

Sure, this is a CV forum, so we're partial to them, but they are excellent cars, tough, cheap, easy to work on and fun. And if you fix up yours, you will have a new understanding and respect for your car, a man-machine bond that will make you a safer driver too, because you wont want to hurt your baby. Am I right?

Either way, good luck with your choice,
Al
2004 Crown Vic LX Sport (currently with a booboo and totaled)
1972 Lincoln Continental 1 of 1
1973 Lincoln Continental Saved from the crusher
2014 Chevy Camaro
2007 Crown Vic P71 SAP (officially gone, but its parts still clutter my place)
[+] 2 users Like castrosua's post
12-04-2017, 11:52 AM
(12-02-2017 10:47 PM)BlackVic_P71 Wrote:

With good tires(not crap RSA's), a CV drives fine in the rain. I have rear wheel drive cars and live in NY(11 years plus a few years in VT with my Volvo 240), never have issues caused by the car.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?

This, this, this, so MUCH this. If I turn off the traction my RSAs will light up if you look at them funny, let alone the condition of the road I'm driving on. They handle ok once warm or on nice, dry pavement, but they'll be getting replace soon for a set of Treadwright Pumas (lol, pun). Quite frankly I'd never own another set of RSAs even if gave to me for free. I've never had to keep such an eye on surface conditions and throttle position before and Frank replaced a 5.4 Lariat F150 with no traction control.

To answer your question, the Vic is going to be the cheaper option of the 3 in the short and long term. You're going to immediately have cheaper insurance being a slightly older vehicle plus the age of and reliability record of the model, it's body on frame which you already know makes it easier to repair if/when damaged, the average mpgs are going to be negligibly different between the 3 with average driving, plus like you said, you already have a parts car for another Vic. Honestly the size plus outward visibility is a non issue to me having downsized from an extended cab truck that I could park anywhere. Frank is like driving my Altima again in comparison. He barely feels bigger than Mocha even though he's pretty much the entire trunk longer.

All in all I'd say go with the Vic or as a second the Taurus. Having sat in the front of a few cruiser Chargers, they're not all that comfy or spacious. Don't know about the Tauruses.
Mocha — 2014 Hyundai Tucson SE, Kona Bronze, Stock
Whitey the Beater — 1999 F-150 Lariat, 5.4 V8, Retired with 242,000 miles
[+] 1 user Likes FranktheVic's post