Current time: 09-22-2017, 07:43 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Random airbag light and 6 chimes on ignition
08-25-2017, 12:53 AM
Random airbag light and 6 chimes on ignition
My airbag light comes on here and there randomly. I also get 6 chimes when I turn on the ignition if the light was previously on when I shut it off. Nothing blinks on the light. Is the chime a code, or just there to get my attention? I was hoping to get a code without going to a dealer so I can track down the issue and resolve it. My guess is it is probably the drivers side seatbelt pretensioner since it happens when it is just me in the car as well as with passengers. It also seems to happen soon after I squirm around in my seat.
2003 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Arizona Beige
Find all posts by this user View This User Garage
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2017, 07:09 AM
RE: Random airbag light and 6 chimes on ignition
Year? The chime is usually because the light isn't working on the dash.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
[Image: 7082f310-ddf0-45a9-9fc0-153a7ca0a8ce.jpg]
1989 Country Squire - needs more air
2005 CV Sport
SW full exhaust, Heinous control arms, Hawk pads, Powerslot rotors, Addco swaybars, BBK TB, Accufab plenum

Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited
08-25-2017, 01:37 PM
2003. The light is working.
09-04-2017, 11:26 AM
Still can't figure this out. Everything I read says that the light will blink a code, but it never happens for me. The airbag light works though, so I have no idea what the chime is for as it randomly happens.
09-04-2017, 03:57 PM
A good scanner should be able to read the code, maybe not your basic $2 one though.
Ford can surely read it but it will cost you a bit unless you are close with an employee.
[Image: 7082f310-ddf0-45a9-9fc0-153a7ca0a8ce.jpg]
1989 Country Squire - needs more air
2005 CV Sport
SW full exhaust, Heinous control arms, Hawk pads, Powerslot rotors, Addco swaybars, BBK TB, Accufab plenum

Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited
09-09-2017, 02:56 PM
I think only the dealer can scan for airbag codes. I removed both front seats and checked things out. Looks like the seatbelt buckles do not have pretensioners. Neither front buckle gets me any ohms on the meter, but the seat belt light works fine. I pulled the B pillar covers and tested the pretensioners. Both are good. I guess I'll put it back together, clean the connections, and reset the airbag module to see if it starts blinking a code at me.
09-09-2017, 06:21 PM
So with the seat out I turned on the car and the light flashed a code. Now that I know it can flash codes, I know that it is not flashing codes when it goes on. Back to the drawing board. Looks like no way to clear memory on a '03 module either. Sad