Current time: 02-23-2018, 08:13 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Problem to obtain OBD codes ('90 Marquis)
01-24-2018, 08:38 PM
Good afternoon,
I wanted to perform the test to get OBD codes of my Marquis (5.0), but the light of the tester stay on permanently, that is, it doesn't blink.

On the dash also the check engine indicador does not flash either, it just stay on.

The problem start the last weekend when I try to get codes, but I take other connector that has voltage and some Sparks came from the cable that I use as a jumper.
After that the engine did not want to start.
I remove the battery about 5 minutes, and then the engine start but with the failure.

Do you know why does that, the test light?
How could I get the codes to see what is the problem?                    

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI VNS-L23 mediante Tapatalk
1990 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Find all posts by this user View This User Garage
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2018, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2018 08:06 AM by BlackVic_P71.)
You weren't using that connector for the test, were you? The test part is the little grey square one by your finger with 1 wire and the large one in your hand.
I've never tried doing the test that way, I have a tester that the connectors plug into, and it gives you codes.
LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
[Image: 7082f310-ddf0-45a9-9fc0-153a7ca0a8ce.jpg]
1989 Country Squire - needs more air
2005 CV Sport
SW full exhaust, Heinous control arms, Hawk pads, Powerslot rotors, Addco swaybars, BBK TB, Accufab plenum

Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited
01-27-2018, 12:42 AM
RE: Problem to obtain OBD codes ('90 Marquis)
Goodnight:

Yes, the last time I wanted to get the codes I used the small gray connector, the first time I used the other connector I got confused for doing the test at night, since then the check engine does not blink and the engine failure got much worse.

Just ordered yesterday an innova brand code reader from the amazon website, I hope the next week arrives, because in auto parts stores near my house I only found OBDII scaners, I found a Bosch brand that works for OBD I and OBD II, but at the moment I do not have the money to buy a tool like that.

Today I wanted to obtain the codes again with the test light, directly from the cables, to discard some false in the connector, but it remains the same, the light don't blink.
   I must have damaged something when I made the short with the cable in another connector.

tomorrow I check the ignition module and coil, since the problem I have is lack of spark, although the engine turns on, but failing a lot, the spark plugs are very wet with fuel, all equally.
Also check the spark plug wires and they're fine.

When I turn on the engine, it smells too much of badly burned gasoline, in fact the exhaust left a brown stain on the floor.
02-04-2018, 01:40 AM
(01-27-2018 12:42 AM)rodo77 Wrote:

Goodnight:

Yes, the last time I wanted to get the codes I used the small gray connector, the first time I used the other connector I got confused for doing the test at night, since then the check engine does not blink and the engine failure got much worse.

Just ordered yesterday an innova brand code reader from the amazon website, I hope the next week arrives, because in auto parts stores near my house I only found OBDII scaners, I found a Bosch brand that works for OBD I and OBD II, but at the moment I do not have the money to buy a tool like that.

Today I wanted to obtain the codes again with the test light, directly from the cables, to discard some false in the connector, but it remains the same, the light don't blink.
   I must have damaged something when I made the short with the cable in another connector.

tomorrow I check the ignition module and coil, since the problem I have is lack of spark, although the engine turns on, but failing a lot, the spark plugs are very wet with fuel, all equally.
Also check the spark plug wires and they're fine.

When I turn on the engine, it smells too much of badly burned gasoline, in fact the exhaust left a brown stain on the floor.
Today arrive the code reader from Amazon, it takes to much time, but finally I can get the codes.

The problem was in the small connector, I put a jumper wire directly to the battery.

Many error codes, tomorrow I will start to check each one.

02-11-2018, 02:01 AM
Goodnight
   In the past few days I continued to review the problem with the engine failure codes.
  Check the harnesses, clean them, check continuity.
   check the sensors, finding them all working well.
today I disassembled the ECU, and I found a damaged part, although I am not very good at soldering electronic parts, I decided to do it myself, instead of taking it to an electronics workshop, and it worked well.
    the fault codes have disappeared and the engine ignites without problem and remains stable.
   Check with the OBDI scanner and do not throw any code
[+] 1 user Likes rodo77's post
02-11-2018, 02:08 AM
Here the photos of the damaged area in the ECU                            

02-12-2018, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2018 10:31 PM by msena.)
Good to hear you were able to track down the problem and fix it, great work.
2011 P7B CVPI
1994 Land Rover Defender90
1967 Triumph TR4A

Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited