Current time: 09-22-2017, 07:40 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Not charging - extra wires
07-30-2017, 01:32 AM
Not charging - extra wires
The symptoms: after starting the car, everything seems fine, all lights go out but after 15-20 seconds battery light comes on. Usually that would mean no charge - I did take the alternator out and it checks out okay... what gives? Talking about the Mitsubishi unit. No codes.

Car - 2010 P71 - recently acquired at the auction - all police equipment was removed prior to. So far I also removed all the excess wiring and modules - all seems to be back to factory.

Also, wigwag unit that was under the hood was plugged in right in front of the radiator - can I just unplug it? There are two sets of wires in font of the radiator as well - does anyone know what these are for? See photo... (the plug is where the wigwag was plugged into).

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2010 Crown Vic P71
2008 Crown Vic P71
Find all posts by this user View This User Garage
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2017, 10:35 PM
RE: Not charging - extra wires
Hard to say what the wires were for...every departments different. Maybe siren speaker, maybe auxiliary lighting. . how clean was the block to alternator mounting surface?? Make sure all battery terminald are clean and tight. How was alternator checked?
[Image: ctrits.jpg]
2007 P71 AZ BEIGE-current and probably the last for me, all the others have moved on.
https://www.facebook.com/tritschlerweldauto
tritschlermotorsports@live.com
Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user View This User Garage
08-01-2017, 02:31 AM
(07-31-2017 10:35 PM)ctritschler Wrote:

Hard to say what the wires were for...every departments different. Maybe siren speaker, maybe auxiliary lighting. . how clean was the block to alternator mounting surface?? Make sure all battery terminald are clean and tight. How was alternator checked?
I took the alternator to Autozone and had them run the tests - now I'm gonna clean the terminals and see what happens.

Battery was completely dead when I got the car - charged it for 24 hours. Car starts every time I wanna move it around although I'm not driving it since I'm still waiting for title from the auction. This is probably the only thing left now that I can't figure out... everything else had been put back to regular duty - all extra wires removed.

thanks,
2010 Crown Vic P71
2008 Crown Vic P71
08-02-2017, 07:38 PM
just out of curiosity have it tested again,, somewhere else.
[Image: ctrits.jpg]
2007 P71 AZ BEIGE-current and probably the last for me, all the others have moved on.
https://www.facebook.com/tritschlerweldauto
tritschlermotorsports@live.com
Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user View This User Garage
08-02-2017, 08:30 PM
just no time... might get some things done tonight though. Mosquitoes permitting.
2010 Crown Vic P71
2008 Crown Vic P71
08-09-2017, 08:34 AM
regarding the issue - which still persists as of today - I did measure voltage at the battery posts and at the alternator - it comes all the way to right above 17V when engine is running - perhaps that's an issue?

What os the procedure to test the regulator? There is constant 12V at one of the wires - nothing on the others - I know one of them is responsible for the dash light - which one?

Why am I getting a no charge light if alternator works?

ghost under the hood?
2010 Crown Vic P71
2008 Crown Vic P71
08-13-2017, 11:05 PM
To update - I have replaced the alternator today - and still, charging light comes on even though the voltage at the alternator reads now around 13.4V at idle - and fluctuates with motor speed. That means batter is getting a charge - why does the charging light come on though? anyone had any issues with the connector perhaps? or could that be that the battery is bad from all the overcharge it was getting (could of been like that for a while, I just got the car).

Any ideas where to look next would be appreciated.
2010 Crown Vic P71
2008 Crown Vic P71
09-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Running out of ideas - still working on the issue. I had the alternator and battery tested (both tested okay). I did install a used PCM, replaced alternator plug, reattached ground wires - still, the light comes back on and the engine revs right above 1000 rpm. Any help would be appreciated.

Not that I'm ready to give in - just want to solve this issue.
2010 Crown Vic P71
2008 Crown Vic P71