Current time: 09-23-2017, 01:36 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New bie w/out a Panther
03-28-2017, 12:26 AM
New bie w/out a Panther
Hello to the board - I am an ex- German iron lover looking to go American and definitely want a CVPI with low idle hours. I realize the board has tons of information and i have done a lot of reading but if anyone can enlighten me as to the things to avoid or point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Frank096
Find all posts by this user View This User Garage
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2017, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 10:43 AM by Pecos Slick.)
RE: New bie w/out a Panther
Find one that has the lowest mileage/idle hours and the interior reflects what the mileage/hours show. If it seems to low of mileage it was probably a government pool car or it was damaged so bad that it sat for a long time. Take it to a body/ frame straightening shop of hire one of the guys there to go to where the car is located and check it over. And a big welcome to the Pantherbb forum!
Love many, trust few and always paddle your own canoe.
2x2004 P71s. One black (Spook) 145,000 and one white (Cracker)104,500
03-28-2017, 12:06 PM
(03-28-2017 10:42 AM)Pecos Slick Wrote:

Find one that has the lowest mileage/idle hours and the interior reflects what the mileage/hours show. If it seems to low of mileage it was probably a government pool car or it was damaged so bad that it sat for a long time. Take it to a body/ frame straightening shop of hire one of the guys there to go to where the car is located and check it over. And a big welcome to the Pantherbb forum!
Pecos - Thanks for the advice - luckily I have a really good body guy who bleeds Ford blue and would give me the straight scoop. Looking forward to learning more.
03-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Welcome aboard. I would just recommend thoroughly going over any car you are considering. Check for any obvious damage from hard use, and look at the quality of the job they did removing the police electronics.
2011 P7B CVPI
1994 Land Rover Defender90
1967 Triumph TR4A

Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited
[+] 1 user Likes msena's post
03-28-2017, 01:52 PM
(03-28-2017 01:05 PM)msena Wrote:

Welcome aboard. I would just recommend thoroughly going over any car you are considering. Check for any obvious damage from hard use, and look at the quality of the job they did removing the police electronics.

Thanks for all the advice- hard to find reputable sellers; seems everyone has a spin on it. Gotta keep looking and asking questions. Just for laughs, anyone know of CM Autowerkz in Orlando? Stumbled upon them during a late night internet search. Thanks again.
03-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Welcome.
CM buys low and sells high, not sure on their quality but for what they charge...it should be damn near new car quality.
[Image: 7082f310-ddf0-45a9-9fc0-153a7ca0a8ce.jpg]
1989 Country Squire - needs more air
2005 CV Sport
SW full exhaust, Heinous control arms, Hawk pads, Powerslot rotors, Addco swaybars, BBK TB, Accufab plenum

Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited
03-28-2017, 06:05 PM
(03-28-2017 03:54 PM)BlackVic_P71 Wrote:

Welcome.
CM buys low and sells high, not sure on their quality but for what they charge...it should be damn near new car quality.

Manny at CM was perfectly nice and was happy to answer questions but I'd rather try to find one in my surrounding are - have to laugh - just asked about one here in CT - it only had 9700 idle hours on it. Other than that, it was perfect!
03-29-2017, 08:11 AM
Welcome to PBB. 2003+ has the redesigned suspension which is a big plus. 2003 has soft axle issues, 2005 start DBW (drive by wire), 2006+ started the idle hours clock so any year prior to that idle hours are undetermined.

Paperwork on maintenance is a plus but you probably won't be able to get to many service records. Check the transmission out real good... overdrive band is known to crap out even at low mileage when abused. Test AC and heat... AC is expensive to replace and heat (blend door issues) is a royal pain the ass to fix. If over 100k on the clock listen to the engine and make sure it doesn't sound like your great grandmothers sewing machine because that could mean the timing chain guides are on their way out... also not an easy job and could run into some money.
and all the other stuff to look for when buying a used car, procede with caution Big Grin
Good luck with your search.
[Image: 86hooptie.jpg]
86' Coupe "DaBox"
Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited, 4.6L, modular, wheels, jmod, nittos, headers, exhaust, lowering, manual, 4r70w, 5.0, 5.4, mustang, sohc, dohc
03-29-2017, 08:23 AM
(03-29-2017 08:11 AM)BigVin Wrote:

Welcome to PBB. 2003+ has the redesigned suspension which is a big plus. 2003 has soft axle issues, 2005 start DBW (drive by wire), 2006+ started the idle hours clock so any year prior to that idle hours are undetermined.

Paperwork on maintenance is a plus but you probably won't be able to get to many service records. Check the transmission out real good... overdrive band is known to crap out even at low mileage when abused. Test AC and heat... AC is expensive to replace and heat (blend door issues) is a royal pain the ass to fix. If over 100k on the clock listen to the engine and make sure it doesn't sound like your great grandmothers sewing machine because that could mean the timing chain guides are on their way out... also not an easy job and could run into some money.
and all the other stuff to look for when buying a used car, procede with caution Big Grin
Good luck with your search.
Many thanks for the information - all of it is ver helpful and somewhat daunting but the board has lots of experience for which i am grateful.
03-29-2017, 11:01 AM
Welcome!
[Image: fe571afe-5636-45d2-8f76-c7eb8d09192c_zpseqfjcbef.jpg]
2006 Light Ice Blue P71 - Jmod, Whelen PAR 46 LED Floodlight, Wig Wags, Strobe Lights, 155K, Otherwise Stock