Current time: 01-20-2018, 08:48 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Metco Control Arms Question
01-06-2018, 08:30 PM
Hey everyone, as some of you already know, I recently bought myself a set of Metco control arms for the rear suspension. I’m borrowing a torque wrench from Autozone to torque the bolts once everything is in place. The instructions seem pretty straightforward, but I do have some questions before I dive into this. The first one is: should I put a small layer of grease onto the bushings to prevent squeaking? And if so, what type or brand of grease would you recommend, and where should it be applied?

The next question is: are there any words of advice worth sharing? Things to look out for, or be aware of? I understand that it’s best to start with the upper control arm first, so it’s easier to position and pivot the new arms into place. Any input or feedback is greatly appreciated.
[Image: fe571afe-5636-45d2-8f76-c7eb8d09192c_zpseqfjcbef.jpg]
2006 Light Ice Blue P71 - Jmod, Whelen PAR 46 LED Floodlight, Wig Wags, Strobe Lights, 160K, Otherwise Stock
Find all posts by this user View This User Garage
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2018, 08:40 PM
Are the bushings greaseable? I'm ordering mine in early spring. I always put anti-seize on any suspension bolt where it contacts the inner sleeve of a bushing. Torque the bolts with the suspension loaded. Use loctite on tge threads. You can always contact Rick @metco or Chris @adtr. Maybe Tom will chime in, since he has done them before.

Not your grandpas Grand Marquis
2006 GMQ, 2010 CVPI
01-07-2018, 02:43 AM
RE: Metco Control Arms Question
Yes, they have these little grease fittings at each bushing, and a set of screws to seal them up once you’ve put the grease in. Now I see why loctite is needed.
2006 Light Ice Blue P71 - Jmod, Whelen PAR 46 LED Floodlight, Wig Wags, Strobe Lights, 160K, Otherwise Stock
[+] 2 users Like Westbrook's post
01-13-2018, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2018 03:31 PM by Westbrook.)
One more question: for those of you who have done this already, when removing the upper control arm bolts and/or the lower ones, will the fasteners inside the frame and the ones facing the axle fall out of place? And if so, how do you retrieve them and get them back into position? I’m only asking because I don’t want to lose them and be stuck without being able to drive the car.
01-13-2018, 03:43 PM
IIRC, it's a nut clipped to the frame, either that or a flagged nut that will fall out once the bolt is removed. The opening in the frame is big enough to see what's there ahead of time if you get a minute to check.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
[Image: 7082f310-ddf0-45a9-9fc0-153a7ca0a8ce.jpg]
1989 Country Squire - needs more air
2005 CV Sport
SW full exhaust, Heinous control arms, Hawk pads, Powerslot rotors, Addco swaybars, BBK TB, Accufab plenum

Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited
01-13-2018, 04:46 PM
I can feel them through the openings, though I’m unsure where they’ll go once the bolts are removed. Only one way to find out!
[+] 3 users Like Westbrook's post