Current time: 09-22-2017, 08:08 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Add Comment

Garage
Garage Home
Vehicle Details

Search Comments

Overview Images Modification Details

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Overview
Owner : VolandoBajo
Data Added : 04-02-2015 - 05:30 AM
Views : 1324
Year : 1997
Color : Beige
Engine : 4.6L SOHC
Transmission : 4R70W
Mercury Grand Marquis GS
GS single exhaust
2.73 open rear end, non-ABS

Looking into dual exhaust/cat back.
Looking for a 3.27 Traction-Lok rear to swap in.
Looking for someone I will be able to trust to do a J-Mod.
Planning on swapping stock fan for a dual Contour electric fan setup.
Not sure if I will fool with a cold air intake, or even an MZT upgrade yet.

I am a retired engineer, have to work on a shoestring. So any old parts you don't need or are willing to part with cheap will be appreciated.

Trying to decide what routine PM is most cost effective; it is my theory that in older cars, sometimes it is better not to mess with fluids if not worn out and seals not leaking, but am open to the advice and experience of others).

Until I can get a good image of my Mercury, my default image is what my 88 Thunderbird looked like, right down to the wheels.

I hope to last long enough, and fix the car up enough, to make it a worthwhile entry into local car shows, if only to show what a great car this era (late Aero) Mercury was and is.

This is my second really nice FoMoCo vehicle, the first being an almost 300K mile 1988 5.0 Thunderbird in Silver, with moonroof and midnight blue leather upholstery...also 2nd gen FoMoCo owner: my father had a 55 Mercury station wagon, a 58 Edsel (bought cheap after recall for hydraulic lifters), a 60 Ford Sunliner, and a couple of later model Fords.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Images
Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Modifications
Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Details
Data Added : 04-02-2015 - 05:30 AM
Views : 1324
Year : 1997
Color : Beige
Engine : 4.6L SOHC
Transmission : 4R70W

Comments
04-02-2015, 09:25 AM
RE: Mercury Grand Marquis GS
psssst!
Better put out an APB.....somebody stole 2 of your doors
[Image: 86hooptie.jpg]
86' Coupe "DaBox"
Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited, 4.6L, modular, wheels, jmod, nittos, headers, exhaust, lowering, manual, 4r70w, 5.0, 5.4, mustang, sohc, dohc
Find all posts by this user View This User Garage
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Welcome to the site.
04-03-2015, 12:11 AM
Welcome, can't wait to see some pics of the MGM.
2011 P7B CVPI
1994 Land Rover Defender90
1967 Triumph TR4A

Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited
04-03-2015, 04:31 AM
welcome
2007 P71
04-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Welcome to Panther BB! Looking forward to seeing some pictures!
[Image: fe571afe-5636-45d2-8f76-c7eb8d09192c_zpseqfjcbef.jpg]
2006 Light Ice Blue P71 - Jmod, Whelen PAR 46 LED Floodlight, Wig Wags, Strobe Lights, 155K, Otherwise Stock
04-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Welcome!
04-23-2015, 03:20 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2015 03:22 AM by VolandoBajo.)

(04-02-2015 05:30 AM)VolandoBajo Wrote:

GS single exhaust
2.73 open rear end, non-ABS

Looking into dual exhaust/cat back.
Looking for a 3.27 Traction-Lok rear to swap in.
Looking for someone I will be able to trust to do a J-Mod.
Planning on swapping stock fan for a dual Contour electric fan setup.
Not sure if I will fool with a cold air intake, or even an MZT upgrade yet.

I hope to last long enough, and fix the car up enough, to make it a worthwhile entry into local car shows, if only to show what a great car this era (late Aero) Mercury was and is.

This is my second really nice FoMoCo vehicle, the first being an almost 300K mile 1988 5.0 Thunderbird in Silver, with moonroof and midnight blue leather upholstery...also 2nd gen FoMoCo owner: my father had a 55 Mercury station wagon, a 58 Edsel (bought cheap after recall for hydraulic lifters), a 60 Ford Sunliner, and a couple of later model Fords.)

OK, this isn't a picture of my actual vehicle, don't have a decent hi res pic, but this is totally identical, including the color, to what I drive now.

Only difference is I'm running the interlaced wire spoke wheel covers (a bear to detail) over 15" steel rims. Not as zooty as the alloys, but I live in the NE corridor, national HQ for potholes, so I am willing to swap a little weight for the satisfaction of not having to worry about cracking a wheel. Though I'd live to have those alloy diamond spoke wheels, though I think they only come in sixteen inch size, and I don't want to have to switch tires and wheels til I get some other things done.

But there it is, a Prairie Tan, later called Light Prairie Tan, Grand Marquis GS. About 185K miles when I got it in Nov or Dec...dirt cheap from original owner, runs great. Never thought I'd find another (and affordable) car in retirement that I would like as much as my T-Bird, but the Grand Marquis has surprised me. I truly love this car...it is a great piece of engineering, and a beautiful, ageless looking design.

And I don't give a fat rat's entire rear section if you don't agree, or think it's an old geezer's car. To me, it is a well-balanced combo of power, handling, comfort and reasonable mileage, plus solid reliability. And I am willing to bet that you can't find a better all around car for anywhere near the price.

I'm beginning to think the reason old geezers (though not only old geezers) like this car is because by the time you have lasted long enough to be an old geezer, you have learned to appreciate the overall balanced nature of the car, as well as its relative economy.

If you're ever in the Philly suburban area, hit me up and I'll take you for a ride in it.
04-23-2015, 03:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2015 03:40 AM by VolandoBajo.)
(04-02-2015 09:25 AM)BigVin Wrote:

psssst!
Better put out an APB.....somebody stole 2 of your doors

Yeah, but they gave me 24 more cubic inches...and a quicker rear end ratio, plus a floor shifter.

Wish I had those wheels to put on my Grand Marquis. I think they were fifteens, too. Straight bolt on. Remind me of Boyd Coddington billet wheels from the old days of car mags and custom cars.

In fact, they originally weren't on the car when I looked at it. Dealership gave me all kinds of static about federal regs, wheels matched to specific platforms, etc, couldn't swap them with another Bird. Told them I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't exactly what I wanted, and even offered to pay for the labor to have them swapped, if necessary (which it wasn't). Finally they came around when they realized I was going out of there with a Bird looking just like that or I was going out in my diesel 82 Rabbit...no other choices.

A man's got to know when to draw the line...

The Fox body cars were a bit lighter, but I am amazed at how well the Grand Marquis does, both in acceleration and cornering, even when compared with the sweet machine the SuperCoupe was.

And don't let anyone fool you...supposedly the TurboCoupes were more powerful and faster, but they were trying to juke the CAFE numbers. The SuperCoupe had torque out the rear end in a much broader range, and could and would often just walk away from TurboCoupes at lights. You could tell by the looks on their faces that they believed the dealer hype...always wanted to catch up later and ask me if I was running nitrous or had a blower added. Nope, just good old fashioned V8 broad power band and a large enough rear end ratio.

Ford Motor Company has made a few mistakes over the years, but when they get it right, they get it really right. Wish I'd had the opportunity to push one of their Taurus SHO's also. Another under-rated Ford gem...and a Mustang killer in its time.

Biggest things wrong with FoMoCo were they killed the RWD BOF Panther platform (and V8), and they killed the Mercury brand. Otherwise, they are still turning out some nice iron (and aluminum and carbon fiber).

Add Comment