Current time: 09-20-2017, 08:52 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Belt squeal
08-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Belt squeal
So i am pretty sure it's the belt doing this, but i never mess with belts myself being not overly mechanical. It usually squeals in the morning, but not for long. This morning it's really humid out and it squealed all the way to work. It does get louder as you accelerate and is not squealy at idle.

Is this a slipping belt or is this something else? It never loses power, and everything seems to run fine.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

- Anm8ed
'05 MGM
Find all posts by this user View This User Garage
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2017, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2017 11:33 AM by donzelwshngton.)
RE: Belt squeal
If your belt is cracked or old, I'd get a motorcraft replacement and put it on there to see if the racket goes away. Serpentine belt maint. on these cars isn't too bad, everything's right there. All you'll need is a 3/8" socket drive with a longer handle or a pipe to go over a short one. Here's a nice video that walks you through how to replace yours. Make note of the belt routing, either through a diagram on a sticker under the hood/on the radiator shroud or by drawing a picture with the belt on the car as it is now. Getting it back on right can take a couple tries, an extra pair of hands can help the belt stay in position while you adjust the tensioner back. Dont get your fingers caught in there, you may even want to disconnect the battery to be extra sure that the car will not turn over while you have your hands in the pulleys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOJyX9WL2fM

http://www.aa1car.com/library/serpentine_belt.htm
------
2000 Crown Victoria LX - Performance Improved (PI) Head/Cam/Intake Swap, 3.55 Trac Lok, Addco Swaybars, J-Mod, Dual Flowmaster 40's w/ H Pipe, K&N Cold Air Intake, Bilstein HD shocks, Green Tree Air Freshenerâ„¢

~75k miles

Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited
[+] 2 users Like donzelwshngton's post
08-03-2017, 01:48 PM
I would replace the idler and tensioner while the belt is off

It is what it is
2006 GMQ, 2010 CVPI
[+] 1 user Likes tobiasg1995's post
08-03-2017, 06:08 PM
(08-03-2017 01:48 PM)tobiasg1995 Wrote:

I would replace the idler and tensioner while the belt is off

It is what it is

^^^^Always^^^^^The tensioner is probably weak and the belt is probably glazed from slipping but always replace all three components or you might be doing it again in a short period . IMHO !!211952
[+] 1 user Likes 04 Panther's post
08-03-2017, 07:33 PM
It's common sense to replace all the above parts since you'll have the belt off, so you might as well do the others so you don't have to take the belt off again any time soon.
[Image: fe571afe-5636-45d2-8f76-c7eb8d09192c_zpseqfjcbef.jpg]
2006 Light Ice Blue P71 - Jmod, Whelen PAR 46 LED Floodlight, Wig Wags, Strobe Lights, 155K, Otherwise Stock
[+] 1 user Likes Westbrook's post