Current time: 11-18-2017, 11:38 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anyone go infinite baffle subs?
08-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Anyone go infinite baffle subs?
I was looking at the package shelf from the trunk and it would not take much to mount a single 10" IB up there. I actually have a 10 that is good in IB. Has anyone else does this? Chime in and let me know how it worked out. I'm not looking for stupid loud, but having hatchbacks for years has spoiled me and I don't like the sound of subs that are completely in the trunk.
Find all posts by this user View This User Garage
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mikeb's post
08-11-2017, 01:54 AM
RE: Anyone go infinite baffle subs?
Wow, nobody?
08-11-2017, 08:52 AM
I've thought about doing something, but haven't got around to it. I have an old JL W4 8" and some fosgate amps from my competition days. I may do something this winter. I rarely listen to the radio in my 06. My radio is the magnaflows

It is what it is
2006 GMQ, 2010 CVPI
[+] 2 users Like tobiasg1995's post
08-13-2017, 06:56 PM
The thing is I don't want a lot of bass, nor do I want to take up any of the enormous trunk for some odd reason. That being said, I want it to sound a bit better. I already swapped the 4 factory speakers with some 6.5" EDI 6000s components and it is already a decent improvement. I have so much stuff laying around, that I can experiment and it won't cost me a dime. I already made a design for a 4th order that will just take part of the trunk on the package shelf next to the spare and port directly through the factory sub location. I have a JL Audio 10W0 that will work good in that. I may still just bold a baffle there and hang a single 10" off it and see how it goes.
[+] 1 user Likes mikeb's post
08-17-2017, 06:59 PM
I'm planning to put a 8inch in the sub opening..
But if you want to conserve space I have just laid my sub box on top of the gastank and hold it in place up there with a elastic bagage strap on the left side.
No space lost and I have a little moore ummphh in the sound.

Planning on adding a amp and new speakers all around soon though.
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis Bayshore/LS
11-05-2017, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 02:42 PM by mikeb.)
Well, I ended up putting in a small 4 channel amp (Hifonics Europa) and threw my old JBL 1000GTI in its ported box on the floor. Sounded good, but my wife was annoyed because she lost trunk space. I decided to revisit the infinite baffle idea and then realized a 10" is too big to mount to the rear deck. An 8" would work better because it would not hit the trunk springs. Then I remembered the old Coustic Bass Pumps and thought I could do something similar by creating a chamber to run into the hole in the rear deck. This is what the bass pump is:

[Image: s-l400.jpg]

So I just created a simple box with the top missing that measured 13.25" X 11" wide by 7" deep. Then I realized that it is too tall to angle in, so I cut it down to 11.25" and used the former top to wedge into the bottom. I mocked it up and just sealed the deck using duct tape for the moment to see if it works. The result is that it functions pretty good. Not as loud obviously, but plays real deep and is clean. I'm going to swap out the amp for a couple 2 channel units and push about 200 watts to the sub instead of the 70 it has now. I'll also work with equalization and see how that helps. I will also seal / bolt it to the rear deck, mount the pedestal, sand the box, carpet it, etc.

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Arizona Beige
11-05-2017, 02:46 PM
I forgot to mention that I had to move the spare tire over to accomplish this. Right now it is kind of mounted hokey as I flipped it upside down and used a spacer the bolt the hold down through the slot in the side. I think I will cut off the mounting bracket for the tire and relocate to in order to mount the spare properly. This also gives enough room to build a larger box, so plan B is to do a rear facing ported enclosure on the shelf.
2003 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Arizona Beige
11-10-2017, 11:52 PM
I like this idea...
Guess I should moce out and start taking some measurements..
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis Bayshore/LS