Current time: 09-20-2017, 08:53 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Air ride conundrum
08-26-2017, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2017 02:07 PM by ccain.)
Air ride conundrum
Okay, my P71 sags in the rear. Not much, mind you. It just kinda looks about 1-1/2 to 2" lower.

[Image: mDX6tv8.jpg]

There are air bags on the rear that are mounted on axle perches that are, I'd say, 2-1/4" tall overall. The PO had hacked on the system and attached a Y-fitting leading to a hose with a Schrader valve. When I try to add air to the bags nothing happens, so I'd say there is a break in the system somewhere, not to mention that the bags are weather checked and sad looking.

Now here's my problem, I've searched high and low trying to find some reference to the set up I have. The spring code on the door sticker says "GG55 CMC". Searching Google and the forum yields zero results and I can't seem to find any reference to what springs / suspension set up I have.

I had always assumed that fleet P71's all had regular old coil springs in the rear and not air leveling bags. My car was a patrol vehicle and not some fancy-dancy, cushy detective car. Happy-smiley58

I can't find anywhere on the car where a compressor is or ever was. I initially thought that someone added the air ride after the fact but those spring perches look clean like a factory install and not some hack job, and those bags have more age on them than the time it's been since the car was retired.

[Image: UOyipQo.jpg]

I'd really like to scrap the air bags for a more straight forward, conventional system. Do any of you have any ideas as to where I should begin?

**Don't mind the exhaust, some doofus (previous owner) put knock off Flowmasters on it with spouts that kick down right under the passenger compartment. It's a droning, hot mess that I will be addressing toot-sweat.** Big Grin

--
Find all posts by this user View This User Garage
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2017, 03:11 PM
RE: Air ride conundrum
UPDATE: I've been talking to Kim from Strutmasters. They have the conversion but dang, those springs look tall! Anyway, I think I've answered my own question.

[Image: media.nl?id=459&c=1247091&am...646e48895a]

Do any of you guys have any experience with Strutmasters conversion kits and is there anything I need to look out for?

--
08-26-2017, 05:38 PM
I bought the strutmasters for my MGM but haven't installed them yet. All the reviews I've seen for them are good. I'll post when theyre in though it may not help you much since I'm doing a susp lift at the same time.
[+] 1 user Likes georgeent's post
08-27-2017, 11:37 AM
**sigh** Okay. So, this morning, I climbed under there for a better look and found that the bottom flange IS, in fact, actually welded into the spring perch.

[Image: yfUiVAn.jpg]

And, from this new angle, you can clearly see the fecally engineered welding job where the mentally stunted previous owner attached god knows what kinda air bag to a perfectly good axle.

So, I guess Mr. Sawsall gets to take a trip to Axletown. Jason2

And get this, these bags have solenoids at the top, and from those solenoids, someone installed compression type fittings to what looks like a factory air bag supply line and connected truck-type, plastic, air brake line that goes to a Y connector, that then feeds straight to a Schrader valve.

Now, I'm no pneumatic engineer, but I do know that you can blow air at a solenoid all day long and unless there is power supplied to them so they can open, nothing is getting through. And guess what? Einstein didn't run any power to the solenoids.

Thank god I got this car away from him when I did. So far, all the hacking done to this thing is only in the rear. I have to fix this and the exhaust, everything else checks out fine.

Although, now that I think about it, I may want to pull out the aftermarket stereo to make sure he didn't include some form of trailer park self-destruct mechanism in the form of bare or poorly connected wiring. Rolleyes

Having said all of that, I guess all I really need to do at this point is get a good set of Crown Vic rear coils and swap everything out, then have a cold beer and bask in the warm glow that is knowing things are put back right.

--
[+] 2 users Like ccain's post
08-28-2017, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2017 12:31 PM by towncartimmy.)
(08-26-2017 03:11 PM)ccain Wrote:

UPDATE: I've been talking to Kim from Strutmasters. They have the conversion but dang, those springs look tall! Anyway, I think I've answered my own question.

[Image: media.nl?id=459&c=1247091&am...646e48895a]

Do any of you guys have any experience with Strutmasters conversion kits and is there anything I need to look out for?

--
My towncar has that conversion kit. Easy install and smooth ride. Came with fully detailed instructions. I say go for it, the one i got had all four shocks though. They're red

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes towncartimmy's post
08-28-2017, 12:33 PM
Air ride conundrum
This is with strutmasters.com kit[Image: 0ed08668d2c13c9fbf032677759a4d7a.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes towncartimmy's post
08-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Very nice Lincoln! Thanks for the heads up. The Strutmasters set up is probably what I'm going to go with.

Thanks!!!
09-09-2017, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 11:09 PM by ccain.)
And the plot thickens.

After countless hours of looking on the internet and what not, the consensus was 'do an air ride conversion, they sad. It'll be easy, they said".

Well, today my springs came and I set about doing the conversion.

I don't know what jackwad got up under this car with a welder but if I'd have gotten my hands on him... Well, let's say I'd have ended up in the BACK of a Crown Vic. Tongue

I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time to the Einsteins that installed this crap, to bolt everything together first, then weld the spacer plates to the car.

I kid you not, the top of the airbag was bolted to the spacer that was then welded to the frame. There was no way to get the bolts out in order to get the bags outta the way to get to the spacer to grind out the welds.

And, there was no way of judging the extent of the stupidity that was perpetrated against my lovely Crown Vic until I started tearing into it.

[Image: 0FgjbF2.jpg]

[Image: 4z2D2eg.jpg]

I had to literally destroy the old air bags to get them off the car.

[Image: pp01Q5p.jpg]

[Image: L08B34E.jpg]

[Image: lwm6aG8.jpg]

So, to the IQ challenged installer of this Darwin Award winning air ride set up, I have this to say:

Dear Slap-head,

Thank you so much for halfassing this so bad that it made a 20 minute job take up a whole Saturday.

I pray your girlfriend gives you the crotch-rot she got from the guy your inadequacies drove her into the arms of.

It is my sincere hope that you end up with chronic, molten, hot diarrhea until the day you draw your last breath.

Please, PLEASE, for the love of all that is good and holy, NEVER EVER touch another tool again and inflict this level of idiocy upon a vehicle that someone down the road is going to have to work on.

In closing, I'd like to say that I hope you get a bunion and that all of the beers you open, henceforth, instantly turn warm and flat.

But, I'm not bitter.

--Chris

Big Grin

Now that all that is out of the way, here, aside from some busted knuckles and a newly acquired ulcer, are the results of today's festivities.

[Image: E19SeLw.jpg]

[Image: 2Is5il2.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ccain's post
09-10-2017, 07:04 AM
Love the choice of words Looks good too

It is what it is
2006 GMQ, 2010 CVPI
[+] 1 user Likes tobiasg1995's post
09-10-2017, 10:31 AM
At least it looks like they didn't weld all the way around the upper spacer/mount, so they made it a little easier to get them off. Tongue
[Image: 7082f310-ddf0-45a9-9fc0-153a7ca0a8ce.jpg]
1989 Country Squire - needs more air
2005 CV Sport
SW full exhaust, Heinous control arms, Hawk pads, Powerslot rotors, Addco swaybars, BBK TB, Accufab plenum

Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited
[+] 2 users Like BlackVic_P71's post