Current time: 02-23-2018, 08:15 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
AZ Lincoln Build
12-11-2016, 01:51 PM
AZ Lincoln Build
    [attachment=2326][size=medium]491304 Party Time!

This is my first post about this car. It's primarily to test the image upload function, but I will go into detail when I'm certain I can post photos.

I bought this about a week ago. I pulled the CarFax. One owner, garage kept, zero accidents, and from what I can tell, religiously maintained. It's my sleeper.

The mod plans are not solidified as yet. I have a good friend who just retired from a Ford/ Mercury/Lincoln dealer here in Phoenix. He made the appointment and had them go through everything. I just got it back. They took an entire day, then replaced the bags and the solenoids in the rear, and pronounced it old, but needing nothing. Everything works.

I'm starting with the suspension. The build date is 10-2004, so I will be changing the 28 spline out for something stronger, and I will have a hard look at a brake upgrade, i.e. braided stainless from caliper to hard lines, new master, and whatever else I can make better.

Cheers, to all,

Frank
Find all posts by this user View This User Garage
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes AZSenior's post
12-11-2016, 03:11 PM
RE: AZ Lincoln Build
Sounds like a plan, keep us posted!
[Image: fe571afe-5636-45d2-8f76-c7eb8d09192c_zpseqfjcbef.jpg]
2006 Light Ice Blue P71 - Jmod, Metco Control Arms, Marauder Rear Sway Bar, Whelen PAR 46 LED Floodlight, Wig Wags, Strobe Lights, 161K, Otherwise Stock
12-11-2016, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2016 04:48 PM by BlackVic_P71.)
(12-11-2016 01:51 PM)AZSenior Wrote:

I'm starting with the suspension. The build date is 10-2004, so I will be changing the 28 spline out for something stronger, and I will have a hard look at a brake upgrade, i.e. braided stainless from caliper to hard lines, new master, and whatever else I can make better.
Yeah, going to 31 spline is a bit easier for the 2003+ guys since you can take an already assembled rear out of a 2006+ police car with trac-lok and put the whole thing in or get all new parts since they are made both by Ford and aftermarket like Moser axles.
And you have the benefit of parts made for the Marauder like big brake kits.
[Image: 7082f310-ddf0-45a9-9fc0-153a7ca0a8ce.jpg]
1989 Country Squire - needs more air
2005 CV Sport
SW full exhaust, Heinous control arms, Hawk pads, Powerslot rotors, Addco swaybars, BBK TB, Accufab plenum

Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited
[+] 3 users Like BlackVic_P71's post
12-11-2016, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a cool project!
12-11-2016, 11:04 PM
sounds like a plan
2007 P71
12-12-2016, 12:57 PM
As this gets started, I welcome input, opinions, and questions. I need to adhere to a few simple ideas regarding the finished project.

It's a heavy street car and must live in the heat of AZ. As it sits now, there is no problem. It has to run on 91 octane pump gas. E85 is readily available here, but in an either or scenario, I would prefer to simplify. Everyone asks what the goal is horsepressure wise, and I have no number in my head. Let's just say I would like to surprise anything I run up against. That's the philosophy of a sleeper right?

I'm not at all opposed to forced induction. I have some time behind the wheel of two cars with turbos, and ideally, that would be my preference. I understand superchargers are easier to package for this platform, however, I would rather go normally aspirated rather than have a belt driven blower. Call it a character flaw. I have no special reason.

That brings me to powertrain choices. This is a tough one. Let me preface by saying I have no brand loyalty. It's a Ford, and it would be nice to keep it as such, but availability, packaging, results, and of course cost, are things that will dictate what goes in there. The 4.6 32V DOHC motor would seem to be a no brainer, but a pressure fed 4.6 2V SOHC with Trick Flow heads would be lighter and easier to come by. The 5.0 Coyote is a great engine, and if I'm doing my research correctly, it's a bit skinnier width wise than the 4.6 32V DOHC motor. It's easily available. Packaging is the hurdle, but somebody is doing it, or will do it. Then there's the Eco-boost 3.5 V6. Still pretty new with regard to support, but a consideration. One of the turbocharged cars I have time with is the Nissan GTR. It too has a V6 in it, and trust me, the car is one of the fastest street cars made. I sold mine because I could not take it anywhere without drawing a crowd.

Pushrod motors. What about going backwards time/production wise? I looked online at the different Ford engines in overlaid silhouettes. The Windsor looked to be the smallest. Aftermarket parts for these are plentiful, and I think I saw a crate short block version as a 427. Even as a smaller displacement example, there's a lot of room for turbos because of the overall size of the package. However, a normally aspirated big inch pushrod motor can make a bunch of torque.

Okay, you knew this was coming. The GM LS motor is another consideration. It's very popular for good reason. I have a very nice set of bone stock GM LS7 castings sitting in my garage.

With the less common swaps there will be fabrication. I know this. Less fab means less time until rolling under power. It would be nice to make the Power Tour. Having said that, I need to get busy. Anyone know where I can get a complete Marauder rear end assembly?

Happy Holidays to everyone,

Frank
[+] 1 user Likes AZSenior's post
12-12-2016, 01:08 PM
AZ Lincoln Build
Getting things to work is the hurdle when it come to ecoboost and coyote motors, progress is being made but it can be expensive to make those motors work. A windsor motor in your frame needs custom mounts but it has also been done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[Image: 7082f310-ddf0-45a9-9fc0-153a7ca0a8ce.jpg]
1989 Country Squire - needs more air
2005 CV Sport
SW full exhaust, Heinous control arms, Hawk pads, Powerslot rotors, Addco swaybars, BBK TB, Accufab plenum

Panther, Ford, Crown Victoria, Mercury, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Lincoln, Town Car, Police Interceptor, P71, CVPI, LX Sport, LX, LS, GS, Signature, Limited
[+] 1 user Likes BlackVic_P71's post
12-12-2016, 05:47 PM
You said you have no set power goal in mind, but that sorta dictates which engine best suits your needs. NA you are only going to get 300 RWHP out of a 2V and 350 maybe a bit more out of a 4V. Is that enough?
[+] 1 user Likes CrownVic97's post
12-12-2016, 08:51 PM
(12-12-2016 05:47 PM)CrownVic97 Wrote:

You said you have no set power goal in mind, but that sorta dictates which engine best suits your needs. NA you are only going to get 300 RWHP out of a 2V and 350 maybe a bit more out of a 4V. Is that enough?
I suspect not. With this heavy a car, I'm thinking a soft leave with the boost shove beginning near the end of first gear. Just enough to let the other guy think they've won the stoplight Grand Prix, then go by them with the tires lit up. I'm leaning toward a turbocharged Coyote/6R80 combo. I found a thread on the Marauder site. There are some things I would change if possible. For instance, I'd rather have the turbo(s) sit low rather than high to keep more heat out of the engine bay. I'd also investigate going to a dry sump like the Aviaid system shown on the Proweld site to make room down low, and to maybe use it as a work around for the clearance thing.

I have an appointment with the differential shop on Wednesday. They want to look before they do any recommendations, or maybe it'll take them until then to stop laughing.

Thank you for the NA numbers. All help is greatly appreciated.

F.
12-16-2016, 12:10 PM
I've been searching for better brakes. Do any of the Mustang pieces fit these cars? Mostly what I run into, is the wheels need to be changed to clear a larger caliper. This brake thing has turned into an expensive hairball. The stock brakes feel spongy to me, that's why I was exploring other avenues in the first place. I have to pump them once to get the system to react. The Ford dealer says I'm good, but I disagree. SS braided lines on the corners should help a bit. This has to be addressed. What say you?

TIA,

Frank